Thursday, September 3, 2020

Fun with Mechanical Keyboards!


 

by Tony Thomas

 After playing with my Red Dragon mechanical keyboard for a few weeks, I decided that I wanted something that was quieter so that I would not drive my wife crazy as I typed.  The "blue" keys in the Red Dragon have a high-pitched tactile click that is great for improving your typing speed but hard on the ears.

As a result I picked up a Techware "Phantom" TKL (ten key-less) keyboard that looks very similar to the Red Dragon but also includes RGB LED backlighting.  It looks so cool.  Then I spotted a cute Dierya 60% bluetooth keyboard that I can also use with my iPad when I am out and about.  

I started reading more and watching YouTube videos (very dangerous, BTW) and decided I need a keyboard that I can customize with different switches and keycaps.  The recently released Keychron K8 is now on order.

Yes, I am now in that black hole that is the mechanical keyboard hobby and my wallet is a bit emptier.

There are plenty of great YouTube channels that are devoted to mechanical keyboards (Taeha Types, Switch and Click, The Techne, and TaeKeyboards are standouts) as well as a sub-Reddit: r/MechanicalKeyboards.

The good news is mechanical keyboards have made me way more productive since they are a joy to type on.  If you are a writer, you may want to give mechanical keyboards a try!

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment