Friday, August 21, 2020

My Favorite Writing Tools

 













by Tony Thomas

One of my biggest writing obstacles is finding and using writing tools that I am both comfortable with and improve my workflow.  Here are some that I have found that help:

RedDragon Keyboard: I recently purchased a Red Dragon Kumara keyboard.  It has real switches that are pretty quiet and have excellent tactile response. Its back-lit keys also allow me to work easily when the lights are off.  I find that I can type very fast and accurately with this keyboard (after trying many others) so it is a keeper.

Evernote:  After taking a few years off, I renewed my Evernote subscription.  I tried to replace it with Google Keep but was not impressed with its overall dependability. I also missed having a dedicated Windows app with word count capability that would sync with all of my other devices while offering a web app.  I find the web clipper extension invaluable for organization and research.  And, as I often forget things and can become disorganized at times, Evernote functions as an extension of my brain.

Dragon Naturally Speaking:  I am regularly using dictation again.  While I often type when outlining or drafting, dictation definitely comes in handy when I am "in the flow".  As I can talk a lot faster than I can I can type, it definitely increases my productivity and word count without much effort. Dragon NaturallySpeaking is my favorite tool for dictation, although I also use Google dictation and Siri at times.

Scrivener: For writing books, I have not found a better solution than Scrivener.  While I often draft in other apps or programs, the content always ends up in Scrivener for final formatting and book production.  I also love its tools for tracking project stats and targets.

Google Docs:  When I work on my Chromebook or PC, I usually just use Google Docs.  It has all of the basic functions I need like built-in dictation, word count, formatting, plus grammar and spell checking.  What's not to like?

iPad: While I use the iPad primarily for content consumption, believe it or not, I really like typing on the iPad screen. I have been experimenting with a variety of text editors on the iPad and use them quite a bit to come up with ideas and for light drafting. I also like using various outlining and mind mapping apps on the iPad.  And having other tools like Evernote and Scrivener on the iPad is a huge plus.

What writing tools do you like to use?

No comments:

Post a Comment